Skip to main content

Final Reflection - Connor

Well, I’m back. Back in Houston, back to the old grind of completing school assignments and balancing extracurriculars. Viewing London as a whole, there were numerous things that I loved, but, in honesty, also numerous things that could have gone better, in my eyes. These things that could’ve gone better may sound nit picky, especially as someone who has already been to the city before, but I think they are valid; this was some of the most fun that I’ve ever had in my life, but nothing’s perfect, even if it is as close to perfect as I’ve ever felt, as this certainly was.

Entering a foreign country certainly isn’t easy, and I respect and admire all of the planning and preparation that went into this trip, considering that it’s better than anything I could have done, most likely. Additionally, I absolutely love the packed days of learning that made it so satisfying to return back to the apartments and soak up the day. Places I would have liked to go include the British Museum, with its plethora of unique and mystifying artifacts, and Abbey Road Studios (although maybe that’s something that is best suited to an individual such as myself).

Something that I learned on the trip was how to better connect with others. Sure, I made others laugh and smile as normal, but in reality what is far more important is how I actually learned the deep, important, and introspective things about other people; I would gladly give up my “comedy abilities” any day to be able to better learn about and connect with people, not just friends, on a more meaningful level.

I am incredibly grateful to have someone such as Mr. Grisbee with whom I could talk with about whatever was troubling me at a particular moment; sometimes, when getting to know others on a greater, deeper level, I felt somewhat isolated myself. It was nice being able to have someone who could understand my frustrations at some points.

The whole trip wasn’t like that, necessarily. Easily the best moments were hanging out with friends in a new environment, certainly, but a close second was simply the sheer amount of things we saw, from ancient Roman ruins to WWII bunkers to ancient castles, magnificent cathedrals, and lush gardens. I have talked about picking a favorite in the past with my other peers on the trip, but the truth of the matter is there is simply an impossibility of deciding; I change my mind every day. Additionally, there is something interesting about having heritage from this part of the world and seeing names that may be more than a little familiar (many Morleys, including on a fried chicken chain restaurant) and learning about what my ancestors may potentially have had to deal with (many diseases, wars, and executions, that’s for sure).

Ultimately, the meaning and the purpose of this trip transcends any photo op, inside joke, or place to visit. The meaning and purpose is certainly to learn, yes, but it is also to, like I said earlier, connect with some of your peers in a way that can only exist on excursions such as these. When I first saw my name on the roster list for London I was ecstatic, but even then I couldn’t imagine what was in store for me. I definitely had ideas, but, like the Jamaica trip before it, the actual experience transcended any expectations I had.

I can absolutely guarantee that this experience is a memory for life. How could it not be? I am grateful for this experience yes, but also for being a part of a school that can allow such an experience in the first place. I shouldn’t cry because it’s over. I should smile because it happened.

- Connor Morley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 3 :: Written Blog - 7.5 miles (on foot)

Our day started off by paying a visit to the royal family's palaces. We walked by Buckingham Palace. Before we got there we learned a little bit about it, the most useful fact for the visit was about the flags. There are two flags flying at Buckingham Palace, the Union Jack and the Royal Family's flag. When the Union Jack flies above the palace that means that the queen is not in the building. If the Royal Family's flag is flying then she is in Buckingham Palace. Luckily the queen was in. We did not get to see her but we all talked about where she might be in this huge building. The gates are crowded with people and armed soldiers guarding the gates. (We suspect she chooses to stay in the back rooms.) During our visit to Buckingham Palace we also visited the Queen's Gallery. There were two available exhibits, one focusing on the Russian Royalty and the other focusing on The Shadow of War. The Russian Royalty exhibit had many beautiful paintings, artifacts, and sculp

Day 1 :: Photo & Written Blog - We Arrived!

Hello friends and family! ~36 hours ago the “ Exploring Historical, Political, and Geographic Landmarks in London, England A-Term” embarked on a voyage to immerse, and educate, ourselves in a community other than our own. Through this experience, we have a multitude of events planned, but in order to achieve these, we must first arrive in the amazing city of London! Our plane ride to London was 8 hours long, and because we were traveling in the opposite direction of time (east), we lost a significant amount of time, and sleep. This contributed to an immense amount of jet-lag that we felt through our morning after arriving at the London Heathrow airport. In the end, we were able to regroup, pick up all our luggage, and arrive at our hotel. Although a lot of us lost track of time, and we are all currently very tired, we are all looking forward to our trip! That being said, I and our group, are thoroughly missing our friend Asa, who was unable to make on the trip due to a last mi

Day 9 :: Photo Blog- Beautiful Gardens and Vibrant Sun!

Beautiful Gardens and Vibrant Sun! March 26, 2019 By Callista Wilson We started the day by driving from London to Stratford Upon Avon (the hometown of William Shakespeare); we first explored The Shakespeare Museum and Shakespeare's Birthplace. Cassandra and Morgann inside Shakespeare's childhood home. Outside, actors interacted with us, and preformed scenes from some of Shakespeare's plays including Hamlet, Macbeth, and Julius Caesar. Connor was included in one of the scenes from Hamlet. We walked by many historic buildings along the streets of Stratford Upon Avon. The gardens of Shakespeare's New Place (his home after becoming famous) were filled with brightly colored flowers and sculptures. One of the sculptures was a bronze cast of a tree. Before lunch, we explored Anne Hathaway's Cottage (the wife of Shakespeare). Morgann leads the way through a wooded path at Anne Hathaway's Cottage! Everyone enjoyed the amazing sunny d