Skip to main content

Final Reflection - Sierra

Having the opportunity to travel to London with the Post Oak School is one that I will never forget. Not only did learn a lot, but this trip has also changed the way I view history and traveling to a different city. This was also my first experience spending this much time in a completely different country with other people my age and my teachers. So, in addition to learning about landmarks and history in London, I learned social skills, responsibility, and the art of living with other people in a small space. I feel as though I have grown a lot from when the trip first started to now when it has ended. I now feel more confident in myself to be independent and I know I can take on responsibilities, this is all a result of the independence that was fostered in this trip and the responsibilities each one of us had to make this trip go smoothly.

Before this trip became reality, there was a lot of work to be done, most of it done by Callista, Cassandra, and Morgann. They all did a great job to make sure the trip was well planned out. I think in the future, more students should be involved in creating the itinerary and sorting out the details of how we are going to make it happen. I feel like almost all of the responsibility fell on the shoulders of Callista and Cassandra and I definitely feel like I should have helped a lot more. While we did have small jobs beforehand, I ran into the issue that most of what I was planning to do was already done. During the trip, we also had jobs and responsibilities but these were different. For example: cooking, cleaning, creating a shopping list, shopping, journaling, and blogging. I really enjoyed having these jobs because I think they contributed a lot to the learning process and helped us to achieve our goals for the trip.

Another responsibility we had was creating site reports for the places we visited. Making my site report and listening to the other reports completely changed my perspective on touring a place. Having the site reports allowed us to walk into the activity with some background knowledge that help us to further understand what we were looking at. This is one of the only times when I have toured some place and not felt like a “blind tourist”. I felt more connected with the activity and felt like I had a deeper understanding of the material. Researching the where I am going is something that I’m going to use for the rest of my life.

Another part of the trip I really enjoyed was all of the guided and audio tours we had. I learned so much from each tour that really helped me to fully understand what I was walking through. All of what I learned was very interesting and has inspired me to do even more digging into history (a subject that I am usually not a fan of)! It has also inspired me to continue to take tours when visiting a new place instead of self-guiding.

One of the main focuses and goals of this trip was education. To achieve this goal we participated in a variety of different activities to learn about the historical, political, and social aspects of London. Through visiting castles, I learned about empires and the history of kings and queens in England. Through the Houses of Parliament, I learned about the politics and the workings of politics in London. In visiting all of the cathedrals, I learned so much about religion and the importance and influence in has. Additionally, we were lucky enough to see a Brexit protest showing the social aspect of London with how many citizens respond to politics. Towards the end of the trip, we all had a discussion about how in the future we can help to put all of the knowledge learned on the trip together. I think being able to place all of the information on a timeline of sorts would tremendously help to get the full picture of the history and to further understand the reasoning behind some of the things that tooks place. We discussed how in the future, more research should be done and a brief timeline should be known which will help when going into the trip and when gaining new knowledge.

I’m glad we visited all of the places we did because they were all very special and unique to London. Each site had an amazing story behind it that gave us insight on the fascinating city of London. There were a few day that were very busy and therefore we didn’t get much time at some of the activities, but I think that can be easily improved. Overall, I enjoyed every place we went to and I believe they all are significant to us in achieving our goals for the trip.

This experience opened my eyes to many ways of approaching new things, was a great way to learn about famous and historical landmarks, and fostered Independence along with responsibility. I’m so grateful to have been able to go on this trip and I hope it is available in the years to come for other students because it is an amazing opportunity!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 3 :: Written Blog - 7.5 miles (on foot)

Our day started off by paying a visit to the royal family's palaces. We walked by Buckingham Palace. Before we got there we learned a little bit about it, the most useful fact for the visit was about the flags. There are two flags flying at Buckingham Palace, the Union Jack and the Royal Family's flag. When the Union Jack flies above the palace that means that the queen is not in the building. If the Royal Family's flag is flying then she is in Buckingham Palace. Luckily the queen was in. We did not get to see her but we all talked about where she might be in this huge building. The gates are crowded with people and armed soldiers guarding the gates. (We suspect she chooses to stay in the back rooms.) During our visit to Buckingham Palace we also visited the Queen's Gallery. There were two available exhibits, one focusing on the Russian Royalty and the other focusing on The Shadow of War. The Russian Royalty exhibit had many beautiful paintings, artifacts, and sculp

Day 1 :: Photo & Written Blog - We Arrived!

Hello friends and family! ~36 hours ago the “ Exploring Historical, Political, and Geographic Landmarks in London, England A-Term” embarked on a voyage to immerse, and educate, ourselves in a community other than our own. Through this experience, we have a multitude of events planned, but in order to achieve these, we must first arrive in the amazing city of London! Our plane ride to London was 8 hours long, and because we were traveling in the opposite direction of time (east), we lost a significant amount of time, and sleep. This contributed to an immense amount of jet-lag that we felt through our morning after arriving at the London Heathrow airport. In the end, we were able to regroup, pick up all our luggage, and arrive at our hotel. Although a lot of us lost track of time, and we are all currently very tired, we are all looking forward to our trip! That being said, I and our group, are thoroughly missing our friend Asa, who was unable to make on the trip due to a last mi

Day 9 :: Photo Blog- Beautiful Gardens and Vibrant Sun!

Beautiful Gardens and Vibrant Sun! March 26, 2019 By Callista Wilson We started the day by driving from London to Stratford Upon Avon (the hometown of William Shakespeare); we first explored The Shakespeare Museum and Shakespeare's Birthplace. Cassandra and Morgann inside Shakespeare's childhood home. Outside, actors interacted with us, and preformed scenes from some of Shakespeare's plays including Hamlet, Macbeth, and Julius Caesar. Connor was included in one of the scenes from Hamlet. We walked by many historic buildings along the streets of Stratford Upon Avon. The gardens of Shakespeare's New Place (his home after becoming famous) were filled with brightly colored flowers and sculptures. One of the sculptures was a bronze cast of a tree. Before lunch, we explored Anne Hathaway's Cottage (the wife of Shakespeare). Morgann leads the way through a wooded path at Anne Hathaway's Cottage! Everyone enjoyed the amazing sunny d